Lemon trees, unnecessary overachievers really.
In our small yard we have a plum tree that rarely fruits. A fig tree that gives off mealy figs. A mandarin tree that shows some hope of eventually giving us edible mandarins and one small lemon tree that generates 1000lbs of lemons, year round.
So lemonade, and various items revolving around lemonade, were the focus of today’s Make Stuff Up challenge.
GINGER SIMPLE SYRUP
I guess the name says it all… making simple syrup could not be easier and it really is better when making lemonade. Straight up sugar never dissolves enough AND the best part is that you can easily flavor simple syrup by adding ingredients. I added ginger.
Makes 1.5 cups:
– 1 cup of sugar
– 1 cup of water
– two large slices of fresh ginger
Put sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add ginger, lower heat and simmer for a few minutes. Turn off heat but leave sitting for 20 or so minutes. Then pour in a jar and there you have it.
This is pretty easy:
– squeeze the juice from about 8 lemons
– add about 6 cups of water
– Add Ginger Simple Syrup to taste.
PROSECCO, GINGER LEMONADE, MINT COOLER
– Fill a large glass with ice
– Pour in half lemonade
– Add a little more of the ginger simple syrup
– Fill the rest with Prosecco or a dry Sparkling Pinot Grigio
– Stir in chopped mint to taste
Tasty, refreshing, and enjoyed with great friends during a very nice backyard BBQ.
And now it’s off to bed.